College Park Woman's Club 

Early Historical Highlights

1896

College Park Study Club founded with 15 members.

1906

Chartered in 1906 as the College Park Woman's Club. First club in Georgia to make a contribution to the Tallulah Falls School.

 

1913

With 73 members, offered a Cox College scholarship to a College Park girl; Floral Committee of the club distributed flowers to the YWCA, Old Ladies' Home, Cox College, the Martha Home and 2,000 white pinks (carnations) to all the churches on Mother's Day; Supplied flowers for decorations on soldiers' graves.

1914

$225.00 raised to pay the yearly salary of the College Park Cemetery sexton.


1919

Sponsored entertainment at Fort McPherson and Camp Gordon.


1922

Planted Road of Remembrance, 300 crepe myrtles and dogwoods along railway right of way.

1927

Construction completed on Camellia Hall, building that serves as the gathering place of the College Park Woman's Club.

1930

Sponsored a community Thanksgiving Service, which now is the oldest continuous service in the country.


1942-45

38,818 surgical dressings produced by club members for US military; 290 knitted items; 1,935 volunteer hours to American Red Cross.


1946

Membership was 205; Established fund to purchase medicine for needy and orphaned children and pay for visiting nurses when needed.


1949

First woman's club in Georgia to donate to Cerebral Palsy Society of Georgia; Worked to establish College Park Public Library.